Commuting Resources for Employers
Bicycling is good for business and the bottom line. And Cascade has a series of programs and services to make sure that your business is good for bicycling.
The business case for bicycle commuting
Bike commuters can reduce healthcare costs. Employees who bicycle commute are a better value: they are ill less often and make 14% fewer claims on their health insurance.
- Bicycle amenities are inexpensive. For example, a 10-bike rack has a one-time cost of about $1000. A single underground car parking stall costs roughly $30,000 in lifecycle costs to permit, build and maintain. Bicycling is eligible for some tax savings. Employers provide pre-tax benefits to your commuters, a portion of those benefits may be eligible for a B&O tax credit.
- Bicyclists make great customers. Individual savings among people who travel by bicycle translate to increased purchasing power. In Philadelphia, this savings totals $345,000 per day, a potential boon to local economies.
Bicycling is clearly a smart business strategy. We welcome the opportunity to work with you to improve your business and your bottom line.
Is your business bike-friendly?
Cascade’s new BizCycle program both rates bike-friendly businesses, and provides a roadmap for strategic investments to increase bicycling among employees and customers.
Host a Commuter Class
Bicycle education classes are an excellent way to build iknowledge, skills, and confidence among your employees. Cascade offers a variety of customizable classes which include both lecture format and on-the-bike clinics, such as to enjoy a safe bicycle commute. All Cascade Bicycle Club classes include:
- Basics of Bike Commuting
- Winter Bike Commuting
- Basic Bike Maintenance
- Urban Cycling Techniques
Workplace class prices:
One Hour Class ................................ $325
Series of 2 One-Hour Classes ............. $650
Series of 3 One-Hour Classes ............. $900
Series of 4 Two-Hour Classes ............. $1160
Custom class development ............. $500
All Cascade classes
- Can be customized for suit your worksite Include promotional materials, instructional materials, bike maps and a safety item. (email blurbs, newsletter content, and/or flyers)
- Are taught by professionally licensed instructors who are also seasoned bicycle commuters.
Contact our Robin Randels, Class Coordinator to schedule a class or discuss how to customize a class to your workplace.
Do you have an upcoming employee transportation, wellness, and/or safety fair? Bike commuting is a natural fit for such events. Cascade Bicycle Club’s trained Bicycle Ambassadors attend such events free of charge. Our Ambassadors are experienced bicyclists who can answer a broad range of general questions about bicycling. For more information, or to request a Bicycle Ambassador for your event, email email@example.com.
Corporate Consulting Services
Cascade staff members are ready to share their expertise to build bicycling at your business.
Consulting services include:
- Analysis of your organization’s needs.
- Planning bicycling infrastructure.
- Customized commute tracking website
Bike Month recruits thousands of new bike commuters annually, increases bicycling among current bike commuters and builds support for bicycling in our communities.
Be sure your business takes advantage of all Bike Month opportunities.
- Join us for the annual Bike to Work Breakfast. This great event is the regional Who's Who of bike-friendly leaders. Join fellow business leaders, elected officials, and local leaders.
- Promote the Commute Challenge to your employees. This friendly competition builds on competition, camaraderie, and community to build bicycling.
- Celebrate Bike to Work Day. From hosting a free breakfast for bike commuters, to joining the rally at City Hall, to sponsorship, there are a variety of ways your business can participate.